Sunday, August 8, 2010

Formative Brief #3

Topic: Visualising Music

Task: Choose one of your favourite songs, bands or singers. Research any images that have been produced and respond by coming up with a new and different approach to portraying this band, singer or song through photography. The image should still make a conceptual and formal connection with the chosen song.

I found this task to be a real challenge as music is something that is important to me and inspires me. I found it extremely hard to pick out a song as all I could think of are my current favourite songs and bands. It seems that so many songs these days are all written about love and I just wasn't feeling the whole love angle so instead I decided to look at mate ship and friendship because I think that is a very important aspect of life.... And what better friends then buzz and woody! Yes because I love Disney and grew up on Toy Story and the most recent movie just come out I picked the song 'You've Got a Friend In Me' Yes childish I know but in terms of representing this song photographically I wanted to look into it a little bit deeper.

So to start of with a few images that represent the song...



So after browsing through the many friendship images the most common style was the very cliche 'two friends with arms wrapped over each other look'. So initially I planned to stay away from this but eventually I felt that seeing that this cliche is so symbolic and iconic I would look at it from a different angle of mate ship.

The main task in this brief was to respond to a song in a new way so i looked at the contrast between the friendship in a children's song in comparison to mate ship in a time of struggle such as war.
'You've Got A Friend In Me'
John Simpson Kirkpatrick: Simpson and his donkey
Sculpture by: Peter Corlett, maquette for Simpson and his donkey, 1915

No comments:

Post a Comment